Seniority Level: Executive
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Director of Media Relations, Assistant Director of Visual Branding, Communications Manager
- Public Relations
Job Description: The Vice President (VP) of Communications is responsible for providing strategic vision and leadership for AALU’s communications efforts to drive positive perception of AALUs brand and reputation. The VP of Communications will implement an enterprise strategy to build AALU brand awareness that will include, an ongoing earned media program with an emphasis on policy and trade press and influencers, and a content and engagement strategy for digital and social media channels, managing and generating value from AALUs new website and through other activities as needed to align with association goals and priorities. The VP of Communications will provide advice on all aspects of association communications and leadership and mentoring to the reporting team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the strategic planning and execution of all AALU communications efforts, through the development and execution of a comprehensive strategic communications plan built around enhancing branding and value to key audiences through multi-channel communications
- This leader will be tasked with developing and implementing an improved communications strategy for AALU and working with the Executive Management Team to establish key goals, priorites and KPIs.
- Provide strategic consulting to executive leadership on public relations messaging and industry reputation management
- Working with the SVP Membership Services, oversee special projects designed to tell AALU’s story, engage members and reaffirm the value of AALU and their place as community stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain media relationships with a special emphasis on political, policy-making, Washington media and trade press, including seeking out and gaining positive media coverage
- Ensure that department and project budget requirements are met, including periodic updates to management and internal clients about the progress of communications-related expenses
- Engae and develop the reporting team of professionals to advance the work of the AALU to members using cutting-edge communication techniques and strategies.
- Provide oversight, direction, and growth opportunities to communications department personnel
- Work cross-functionally with the Member Services, Government Affairs and Business Development teams, as well as the AALU Board of Directors, to develop compelling and effective messaging for AALU’s refreshed brand
- Develop a strategy for AALU’s social media and communications channels, including a strategic plan, content calendar and a plan for measurement and optimization—ensuring that they are helping to drive growth
- Oversee the department’s work in support of AALU’s annual conference and other events, including the development of pre-meeting marketing materials; key messages and other materials designed to coordinate the membership’s advocacy voice during their Capitol Hill visits; audio-visual pieces that recognize members and tell our members story; introductions; and other tasks, as needed.
- Identify strategic marketing opportunities to further AALU’s presence in the business-to-business and corporate diversity arenas.
- Ensure communications follow guidelines and best practices for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or similar preferred
Skills & Experience
- 10-12 years of progressive experience in communications roles
- Expereince in developing strategic communications and marketing programs to advance organizational goals
- Ability to lead communications efforts on legislative and advocacy campaigns
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including editing and reviewing
- Ablilty to lead a team, work collaboratively with peers and manage relationships with senior executives and board members
- Proficiency with mass email and/or marketing automation platforms required
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite products
- Demonstrated ability to use Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position with salary commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, of which AALU pays 98%. AALU also funds a health reimbursement agreement account to cover expenses. AALU provides a rich 401k plan and organizational match up to 5% of your annual salary. In addition to the 401K, a profit sharing plan is also provides to which AALU directly contributes an added 5%. AALU offers paid vacation, personal, sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, and more. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome new and diverse people who can strengthen our team.
Please make the position you are applying for the subject line.