Seniority Level: Intermediate
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Job Description: The Media Relations Director is responsible for overseeing communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, press releases, and other content initiatives. Cultivates and manages relationships with media representatives and reports.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identifies opportunities for AALU to demonstrate thought leadership through the media in Washington, D.C., nationally, and in the life insurance and financial trade press
- Prepare articles and press releases for the media.
- Ensure the company protects and promotes its image in a proper, coordinated, and consistent manner.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and publicity community.
- Manage the flow of news about the organization to the media.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to press and staff.
- Optimize communication system to enhance accuracy of communication.
- Create effective communication channels.
- Enhance effectiveness of press and publicity function.
- Act as a media spokesperson on behalf of the company and address questions and complaints.
- Develop relationships with national and regional press contacts to ensure the company reputation is promoted and to deflect criticism.
- Plan and oversee press events.
- Detect public relations issues as they emerge and address them directly.
- Research and write briefing materials.
- Assemble press kits.
- Compose and edit press releases, company literature, and articles for internal and external use.
Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in communications roles
- Ability to lead communications efforts on legislative and advocacy campaigns
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including editing and reviewing
- Ablilty to work collaboratively with peers and manage relationships with national and regional press contacts
- Proficiency with mass email and/or marketing automation platforms required
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite products
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or similar preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position with salary commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, of which AALU pays 98%. AALU also funds a health reimbursement agreement account to cover expenses. AALU provides a rich 401k plan and organizational match up to 5% of your annual salary. In addition to the 401K, a profit sharing plan is also provides to which AALU directly contributes an added 5%. AALU offers paid vacation, personal, sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, and more. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome new and diverse people who can strengthen our team.
Please make the position you are applying for the subject line.