Reports to: Vice President of Communications
Job Summary: The External Communications Manager is responsible for managing external communications to stakeholders, members, and the public. Written materials include preparing press releases longer format pieces, and other advocacy related content initiatives. Cultivates relationships with media representatives and manages AALU’s communications efforts on legislative and advocacy campaigns.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify opportunities for AALU to demonstrate thought leadership through the media in Washington, D.C., nationally, and in the life insurance and financial trade press
- Develop relationships with national and regional press contacts to ensure the company reputation is promoted and to deflect criticism.
- Strong baseline knowledge of current events and legislative policy.
- Assist Government Affairs in preparing legislative materials such as, one pagers, policy briefings, etc.
- Compose longer format communications materials such as, op-eds, opinion pieces, blog posts, etc.
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences.
- Ensure the company protects and promotes its image in a proper, coordinated, and consistent manner.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and publicity community.
- Manage the flow of news about the organization to the media.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to press and staff.
- Optimize communication system to enhance accuracy of communication.
- Enhance effectiveness of press and publicity function.
- Plan and oversee press events.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability and or overall story.
- Research and write briefing materials, press releases and kits, company literature for internal and external use.
- Work with interal AALU team to ensure products and communications are well done and meets deadline.
- Consult with Communications team lead and subject-matter experts to ensure common understanding of publications and related materials to be produced
Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in communications roles
- Ability to lead communications efforts on legislative and advocacy campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ablilty to work collaboratively with peers and manage relationships with national and regional press contacts
- Proficiency with mass email and/or marketing automation platforms required
- Proven familiarity with social media best practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, political science, or similar preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position with salary commensurate with experience. We offer a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible spending account, 401k plan and organizational match of up to 5% of your annual salary, profit sharing plan, paid vacation, personal, and sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, etc. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome new and diverse people who can strengthen our team.
Please make the position you are applying for the subject line.